Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Book Meme

OK so I was tagged today (whatever that means Margaret) with something called a Book Meme. So I am obliging my friend of course in fear of disappointing, and because she also mentioned something about taking away my chocolate. This was an incredibly motivating factor for me. I do not honestly know the last day I went without chocolate. I am sure however if there has been in fact a day that I went without chocolate I most certainly substituted something else that required a large amount of sugar. Anyways the point being I am going to respond and do the, "Book Meme". Here are the rules etc. etc. I am doing a copy/paste from Margarets Blog.

1. Pick up the nearest book (of at least 123 pages).
2. Open the book to page 123.
3. Find the fifth sentence.
4. Post the next five sentences.
5. Tag five people.

Little did Margaret know, or maybe she did, I don't know, but now you will know. I am in the midst of reading a book for my SOC 455 class (Poverty, Race, and Gender in the U.S). The book is Domestica, Immigrant Workers Cleaning and Caring In The Shadows of Affluence by Pierrette Hondagneu-Sotelo. Yes the title is a mouthful you should see the book. So here goes,

"I felt despair, because to so suddenly be told that there is no job on Monday-well, it's awful." For Celestina, the emotional trauma was compounded by having to part abruptly from the two-year old toddler for whom she had cared since his birth, and whom she had grown to love. Her live out position had been Celestina's first job in the United States, and nothing in her life as a middle class woman in El Salvador had prepared her for this incident. She responded to the entire experience with the kind of vows commonly recited by nanny/housekeepers who undergo a blowup or are, in quieter voices as she was, abruptly fired. "I said to myself, 'I'll never work in house again, and I'll never take care of a child again.' "

The incident referred to is the family she worked for wanted her to become a live in nanny/housekeeper. They asked her in person, on the spot, and she said she couldn't because she attends night school. They fired her right then and gave her a 1 weeks severance pay.

Not necessarily a light subject, but it honestly is what I am reading right now at the moment. My next step is to tag 5 people. I will add that tomorrow.

1 comment:

Margaret said...

Awesome Blossom! Good job Tannya! So...you know I would never real take chocolate from you. Mostly, because I'm pretty sure you could beat me up. (Ha Ha)